1. Sell something in which you believe–something that offers a value and benefit.
2. You are on an equal level with your prospect. Yes, you need them, but they also need you. It is a reciprocal relationship.
3. Your priorities and your prospect’s priorities are different. Differing priorities do not translate into rejection. They are just differing priorities.
4. Practice your script with an 8- or 9-year-old. If they do not understand what you are saying–neither will your prospect.
5. Know the goal of your telephone call–and this goal may be different from your ultimate goal. For example, if you are calling to set up a new business appointment, the goal of your call is an appointment–not a sale. Once you know the goal, make sure to ask for what you want.